dinsdag 24 november 2015

Filmreview: Crimson Peak

For months I waited for the release of the new Tom Hiddleston movie and a little while ago, I finally went to see it in the cinema. Keep reading to see what I thought of it!

Plot
A wealthy girl falls for a handsome noble man, who she wants to marry. Her father objects to the marriage, but he suddenly dies. The girl can now marry the man she loves and she goes to live with him and his sister in England. But there are things in his past that are coming back to haunt them all.

Cast
Mia Wasikowska PictureTom Hiddleston PictureJessica Chastain Picture

Mia Wasikowska, who you might know as Alice from 'Alice in Wonderland', plays the role of Edith Cushing, the wealthy girl who falls for the noble man. I'm not the biggest fan of her work and this was no different. I thought her acting was a bit bland and she showed no distinct personality.
Tom Hiddleston, who plays Loki in 'The Avengers', has taken on the role of Thomas Sharpe, the noble man who wants to marry Edith. Now, this is what I call an actor! God, this man can literally play any role. He's so honest in his acting and he played his part so convincing, you honestly forget that he's not Thomas Sharpe himself. Amazing!
Jessica Chastain plays Lucille Sharpe, Thomas' sister. I wasn't sure of how I'd like Jessica in this role, since I've only ever seen her in 'The Help', but the person who cast her deserves an award, seriously! She had the most incredible chemistry with Tom and playing opposite him seemed like such a natural thing for her to do. I loved not only the actors who played them, but also the characters themselves. A+!

What I thought of the film
First of all, this movie is absolutely stunning to look at. Even without dialogue or plot, it's gorgeous. The scenery, the costumes, everything screams gothic romance. But this brings me to the second point I want to discuss. This movie is described as a horror movie, but it's definitely not. There are some creepy scenes - not scary, just creepy - but there was no real horror aspect to it. It's way more of a gothic romance than a gothic horror.
My last point: my favorite director of all time is Tim Burton (Nightmare before Christmas, Sweeney Todd etc.) and while this movie may not be directed by him, but by Guillermo Del Toro, it does have that certain Burton vibe. Which I happen to adore! It's dark and mysterious and creepy at times, but drop dead gorgeous. Beautiful scenery, beautiful costumes, beautiful dialogue and beautifully shot. 

Rating: 15/5 stars, it's sooooooo good!!!

Seriously, if you love this genre in general or if you are a fan of Hiddleston (like me) you. have. to. see. it! 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten